The links to online resources on this regularly updated page are provided to support teaching and training in RDA cataloging. We encourage any suggestions of new resources or events for inclusion here.
There are three important resources maintained by RDA Toolkit and the RDA Steering Committee (RSC) that should be bookmarked by anyone interested in keeping up with RDA updates and changes.
- RDA Toolkit YouTube channel -- contains instructional videos on how to use the RDA Toolkit and recordings of RDA-related presentations.
- RSC Presentations -- includes PDFs of slide presentations by RSC members and others. It is part of the RSC website which contains important documentation and updates on RSC activities and announcements,
- RDA Toolkit News and Information -- updates on RDA Toolkit releases and development and announcements about RDA -related events and activities.
Introductions to RDA Toolkit Beta Site
For anyone who is unfamiliar with the beta RDA Toolkit and the 3R Project, here are some good introductions.
- Anticipating the New RDA -- video of a presentation by Damian Iseminger and Kate James for the Library of Congress. From July 2019.
- RDA Cataloguing and Linked Data --pdf of presentation by Gordon Dunsire at the First Colloquium on RDA in Latin America. From November 2018.
- Evolution of the RDA Toolkit and Its Impact of Catalogers -- pdf of presentation by Kathy Glennan. From November 2018.
- RDA Toolkit Playlist -- this playlist on the RDA Toolkit YouTube channel provides demonstrations and tips on using the beta Toolkit.
- Using the RDA Toolkit -- pdf manual for using the beta RDA Toolkit.
Information on the LRM
The IFLA Library Reference Model, better known as the LRM, was introduced in 2017. It is a high-level conceptual reference model developed within an entity-relationship modelling framework. It is the consolidation of the separately developed IFLA conceptual models: FRBR, FRAD, and FRSAD.
- IFLA Library Reference Model: What and Why? -- video of a presentation by Chris Oliver that provides an overview of LRM and the impact for cataloging practices. From June 2018.
Key RDA Concepts
The 3R Project introduced new concepts to RDA and also presented new approaches to established concepts. Some of these concepts are covered in the links that follow.
- Aggregates and Serials
- Two Presentations on Aggregates and Serials -- video recording of presentations by Clement Oury and Deborah Fritz at the ALA Annual Conference. From June 2018.
- Aggregates in the IFLA Library Reference Model and RDA -- pdf of presentation by Damian Iseminger at Program for Cooperative Cataloging Operations Committee meeting. From May 2019.
- Diachronic Works in RDA -- PDF of presentation by Ed Jones for Program for Cooperative Cataloging Operations Committee meeting. From May 2019.
- Appellations Elements and Nomens
- A Deeper Dive into Nomen and Appellations -- video recording of a presentation by Gordon Dunsire at the ALA Midwinter Meetings. From January 2019.
- Relationship Elements
- Relationship Elements -- video recording of a presentation by Kate James at the ALA Midwinter Meetings. From January 2019.
- Representative Expressions
- Representative Expressions -- pdf of presentation by Kathy Glennan at ALA Midwinter Meetings. From February 2018.
- Vocabulary Encoding Schemes
- RDA Vocabulary Encoding Schemes -- pdf of presentation by Kate James at the ALA Midwinter Meetings. From January 2020.
RDA and Linked Data
One of the original goals of RDA is to align its instructions with linked data principles. The links below address how this goal is being met.
- RDA Linked Data Stuff -- pdf of presentation by Gordon Dunsire at the ALA Annual Conference. From June 2019.
- RDA Toolkit Workshop -- all of the slides and handouts from the workshop held at the 2020 ALA Midwinter Meetings. There are 4 exercises with answers. From January 2020.