The Eldorado at 300 Central Park West, on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, is the northernmost of 4 twin-towered luxury housing cooperatives that handle the west side of Central Park. The art deco style home establishing fills the general blockfront extending between West 90th and West 91st Streets and neglects the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Tank in Central Park.
The Eldorado lies within the Upper West Side-Central Park West Historic District designated by the New york city City Landmarks Preservation Commission, and is a contributing building to the federally designated Central Park West Historic District.
The name is an inheritance from the previous El Dorado, a luxury elevator eight-story home block of 1902 that formerly occupied the full block-front site.
The stock market crash that followed the start of construction eventually overwhelmed its funding and by 1931 the building remained in repossession and the home builder, Louis Klosk, a Bronx-based designer, lost it. It opened, reorganized under the Central Park Plaza Corporation. Author Sinclair Lewis picked a tower residence in this structure due to that it had views which included all the bridges of the city at that time.
The constructing has 30 floors. The most significant floors remain to be in the 2 various towers-- a design it shows other Central Park West co-ops like The San Remo, The Century, and The Majestic. It was developed in 1929-- 1931 to the design of Margon & Holder, for the speculative professional Klosk. The repainted metal finials of the towers are a design of Emery Roth, in association with Margon & Holder. "The futuristic sculptural detailing of the El Dorado, together with its geometric accessory and patterns and its contrasting products and structures, make it among the finest Art Deco structures in the city. The towers are ended by ornamented problems with abstract geometric spires that have really been compared with Flash Gordon finials," observes Steven Ruttenbaum. Details are cast in replica stone, and there are bronze panels of low relief. The symmetrical massing of the structure, with its terraced obstacles can be inned contrast to the noticeably comparable massing of Roth's classically thorough The Beresford, completed in 1929, months prior to design of The El Dorado started.
It opened, reorganized under the Central Park Plaza Corporation. Author Sinclair Lewis chosen a tower house in this developing due to the fact that it had views which consisted of all the bridges of the city at that time. The highest floors remain in the 2 different towers-- a design it shows other Central Park West co-ops like The San Remo, The Century, and The Majestic. 300 Central Park West